Maybe you have heard of Pinterest. Maybe you use it for personal use. But how can it help your business? More importantly, how can it help you sell real estate? Yes it can do both of those things and so much more!
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest in a nutshell is an online pinboard. A place for people to save their favorite images from around the web onto organized dream boards. It is used for everything from dreaming of a home remodel to a wedding that cannot be topped. If it is something that people like or want, it is on Pinterest! This means that people are pinning images of gorgeous homes and interiors every single day. How can you get in on this phenomenon? Read on to find out!
How does Pinterest work?
First let’s talk a little about the terms so that you are familiar.
- Pins or saves – Each photo that is put on Pinterest is called a pin or a save. Any photo on your website can be saved onto the platform.
- Boards – These photos are put onto boards. These are basically like collections of images. Users pick their own boards and can add any photos they would like to each one.
- Followers – As with any social media, you can follow users and they can follow you. This means that they are interested in your pins and boards.
- Repins – Find a photo you love on Pinterest? When you click that save button and pin it to one of your boards, that is called a repin. Repins are gold! They are what makes a pin go viral on the platform.
- Pinners – YOU! All users on the platform are referenced as pinners.
- Search – Pinterest has a powerful search function! So even if you can’t get those followers, you still have a huge opportunity to get eyes on your listings.
Now that you know the terms, the platform is similar to most social media sites. You should sign up, create a profile, and start some boards. Then pin away! Remember that social media is social! Comment and interact with other pinners. Repin content within the platform. Being active is one way to grow.
How can it help my business?
A few facts about Pinterest in 2017:
- There are 150 million active Pinterest users every month.
- 70 million of those are in the United States.
- 81% of Pinterest users are female.
- The median age of a Pinterest user is 40.
- 87% of pinners have purchased a product because of Pinterest.
- 72% of pinners use Pinterest to decide what to buy offline.
- Over 5% of all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest.
All of that together means that if you are ignoring this platform, you are missing out on a huge opportunity. The platform is already large and growing. Instead of “social media”, one might even classify it as a search engine. That is right! People are using Pinterest to research their purchases. If you are not pinning your real estate listings, they are not coming up in those searches. You are missing those potential sales!
What is next? How can you maximize the platform? Stay tuned for the rest of the articles in our Pinterest series. If you thought this was as easy as pinning a few pictures, you are wrong! There is, of course, an algorithm and tons of secrets to getting the most bang for your buck. We will walk you through the best practices for Pinterest over a few articles. By the end, you will be seeing a difference in the traffic to your website and pinning like a pro.
Speaking of Pinterest, be sure to click here to follow us for even more social media tips and tricks!
Need help with Pinterest? Check out our social media services!